I’m posting another recipe in Operation Learn to Cook Like Mom (and Occasionally Other Amazing Cooks I’m Related To). I learned this cabbage dish recently while staying with my aunt. She is the superheroine that makes the pav (POW!) bhaji recipe I posted.
- 3/4 head of cabbage
- 1/2 large onion
- 4 thai hot peppers
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Dice the cabbage, onions and peppers.
- Pour some oil in a pan on a stove over medium heat.
- Add in the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add in the peppers and onions.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the turmeric, cabbage and peas.
- Add salt to taste (a couple of pinches of salt is my taste).
- Cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with Basmati rice.
- And peanut chutney and thecha and yogurt.
- My aunt gets annoyed when I do step 10, but I refuse to defend my love of those three masterpieces.
- My mom doesn’t add onions.
- Or peas.
- She also doesn’t cover the pan and cooks it on high heat in a nonstick pan.
- 3/4 head of cabbage – $0.75
- 1/2 large onion – $0.07
- 4 Thai hot peppers – $0.15
- 1 tsp cumin seeds – $0.02
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds – $0.01
- 1/4 tsp turmeric – $0.01